Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday? More like Dupe 'er Tuesday

So like many Americans in the 24 states holding primaries on this Super Tuesday, I headed to the voting booths this morning, trying to get in early and beat the rush. After reading some of my previous posts, you can safely assume that I knew well in advance who I would be voting for. Mike Huckabee on paper makes perfect sense for me. The fact that he fully supports and wants to push the Fair Tax is my primary reason for supporting him. Like many others, I believe this change in our tax policy would drastically change and improve our economy and the ability of many families, poor included, to move upward in the social classes while still providing the gov't enough revenue to operate. So of course I hit the touch screen by his name, happy with myself, and headed from the voting booth.

Being the political junkie that I am (or at least thought I was until now), I then tuned into the radio shows most of the afternoon and found some interesting reading about the candidates and their positions. Then I heard the results from West Virginia, and then things got interesting. Rumors floating around talk radio and the internet about a possible 'alliance' between the Huckabee camp and the McCain camp have been going around, but I have dismissed them casually until now. Huckabee probably can't win a general election, and all he is doing is splitting the social-conservatives up and getting more votes to McCain. This is bad news for the conservative base. When looking at the votes coming in, its quite clear to see that with Huckabee out of the race, Romney would get most of his votes, and I would much rather see Romney than McCain come November. I don't care of Huckabee gets the VP nod from McCain, it won't change his stance on free speech, tax cuts, or any other position in which McCain looks more like a liberal than a conservative.

What also distresses me is that people associate Huckabee with Christianity first, rather than his position on issues. Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way saying his faith shouldn't be an issue, but not THE issue. All these votes for Huckabee should be driving the talk of the Fair Tax, but no one is talking about this at all. This basically negates the vote of millions of us who support Huckabee based primarily on his economic stimulus and tax policy, the key issue determined by the thousands of pollsters throughout the election process to date.

James Dobson came out on the Laura Ingraham show and stated that he cannot in good faith endorse (or vote for) McCain under any circumstances. http://www.citizenlink.org/CLtopstories/A000006444.cfm Millions of social conservatives may take this same approach, thus opening the door for Obama/Hillary to get sworn in next January. While in the short term this may lead to an administration that will ignore the voice of the conservatives in America, it could also lead to a revamping of the Republican party over the next few election cycles, as they will finally realize that they cannot sweep their core voters under the rug. It may take a wake up call as drastic as this to make this happen. Republican leaders and strategists better get their ducks in a row and get it done fast.

1 comment:

Harvey Birdman said...

I just get angry that so many people aka drones will do whatever Dobson or Rush tell them.

We all know Ron Paul needs to be president of this country.