Thursday, February 14, 2008

Intemperate Thoughts


Overheard a very interesting comparison today on the radio between JFK and Obama. Back during Kennedy's term as President, he uttered the phrase 'Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.' Today, nearly every talking head has called Obama the modern-day JFK, capable of wooing crowds with an outstanding stage presence and charisma. They compare the odd couple's terms as senator and how closely they really do relate with each other. But I ask this: Does anything, and I mean anything, that Obama stands for have to do with putting one's country over self? Easy answer to that one, and if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you. Universal health care, tax increases, anti-war, among other things. Obama's campaign slogan should be 'Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you'.


I just heard Kenny Smith from the TNT tv NBA pre-game show broadcasting in New Orleans (all star game weekend) say that the government was too slow to respond to the poor people in the 9th ward, so he decided to help them out himself this weekend with donations and rebuilding efforts. I say good for Kenny. That is what a rich guy should do. What he should not do is sit there on tv and blame the government for what happened. GW could not have prevented Katrina from happening. If he wants to bitch, do it about that freaking moron mayor they had down in the 'Chocolate City' (Mayor Nagin's words, not mine). His efforts have helped keep New Orleans from ever getting back the people that left.
On a lighter note, should be an excellent 'Lost' episode tonight. That show is the closest thing I have to a TV addiction. I can't get enough.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Lost was great last night!I think that if they decided to run the whole season continuously I would sit and watch the whole thing. It is by far the best show on TV although I dont watch much to compare it with. I definetly agree with you about Bobby. Any true Braves fan knows what he has done for the Braves. He got them out of those powder blue uniforms and the rest is history.

Sarah said...

See? I read...and now I post. A) I don't think I'm the red blooded Republican I thought I was. I don't know what I'll do in Nov. Keep posting. 2)Go Bobby! and D)I love Lost more than I love most things in life. And I'm not ashamed of that.