Monday, October 20, 2008

Chicago Marathon


For any of you looking for a way to challenge your mind, body, and your resolve in a way you have never before, I have three words of advice.... Run a marathon. I ran the Chicago marathon last weekend, and I have to say it was one of the toughest, but most rewarding physical challenges I have had. I have been training since early this year for the race, so I felt I was prepared to go out there and get it done. But in the course of training, I never once had the feelings in my legs, and my mind for that matter, that I did over the last few miles of that race.
I read over and over about 'hitting the wall' around mile 22. It is what occurs when your body's carbohydrate store becomes essentially empty, and you are left with 4 or 5 miles to go and the honest desire to just fall flat on your face on the pavement and not move for three days. It hit me around mile 21, when the heat really starting get to me as well. My time slowed considerably, but I was able to push on through and finish the race. I came in under my goal time of 3 hours, 45 minutes, but the last 25% was quite a bit slower than I had been running.

The course was flat, much better than running here in the foothills of GA. This is a course that usually produces outstanding times for experienced pro runners. In fact, there were quite a few Olympic athletes running this race. Ideal race temp for one of these: 50 degrees. High last Sunday in Chicago: 84. Little toasty. And that made a huge difference towards the end of the race.

Best part of the whole thing was having my wife Summer there as well cheering me on. Here is a link to her site and the pics from the weekend. http://joshsummerandmaddux.blogspot.com/2008/10/marathon-man.html She had me prepared with plenty of Gu and energy packs and a great t-shirt she wore as well. Every time I passed her on the streets, I got a little more energy to finish up. That is until I saw her at mile 25, where she was screaming at me to pick it up and finish strong. At that point, I almost threw my last Gu pack at her from across the road. Kidding. sort of. So a big thank you to her for keeping me going strong....

As for the crowds, they were unbelievable. The energy of the crowd was amazing, they were constantly cheering us all on, and there were literally thousands of spectators everywhere. I hope one day to do this again.

8 comments:

Summer said...

I love you!

MJN6 said...

So proud of you. I would like to say I would do this one day but can't seem to get that desire. Glad you all had a great trip. I enjoyed the pics.

ma said...

Great. LOVE YOU ma

Sarah said...

That is the worst advice I have ever heard. No offense.
Peteetong,
Sarah

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a scripture - you did it! Congratulations!!!!

Unknown said...

YOU FINISHED THE RACE!

The Kimmels said...

Just got a chance to read this but I heard the race was awesome and that you guys had a great time! That is quite an accomplishment, Josh. You should be really proud! I know your wife is.

One Krazy Momma said...

One day I hope to take your advice.