Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dobson v. Obama, Round One

Ok, so its been a few weeks. Lots of things keeping me from putting pen to paper, so to speak. But this topic just gets me fired up.

So there is a little feud brewing between James Dobson and Barack Obama, and it seems that Dr. Dobson has been highly critical of Obama's view of Christianity, or should I say spirituality. Obama claims to be a man of faith, and I am not in a position to judge that. But I do have a problem with his desire to translate spiritual issues into a "universal language." Does he really believe that he can heal the divide between religions that have been waging war on each other for milleniums? I don't think so. All I think he is doing is pandering to as many voters as possible, especially those who think Christians are fundamendalists and backwards. I am not a theological expert, so I am in no position to preach from a soap box here. I just have no confidence that Obama is honest in his "preachings." When it comes down to it, there is very little common ground between religions. We can choose to live in peace and harmony when able to, but we essentially have severe differences that one man cannot mend. And this universal language he is preaching is synonymous with appeasement, which history shows has a very low success rate, regardless of the topic.

No comments: